Home Forums General Rafting Questions Flipping an otter

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    scottowens
    Participant

I’ve got a 15’ NRS otter, and I’m struggling to climb onto the flipped raft from the end. I can get onto the upside down raft from the side if I loosen the perimeter line and use it as a step to climb up, but I worry this is a bit of an entrapment hazard.

I’m not the best at climbing onto flipped rafts, but with the Otter it seems like the drain holes start so far up that it’s hopeless to grab them from the end of the raft.

Is this something others struggle with on the Otter, or do I need to just try harder?

jrichard
    Participant

Hi Scott,

I have the slightly bigger cousin of your Otter; a 16 foot NRS Expedition. I know exactly what you’re talking about. The drain holes are way too far away from the bow and stern handles to reach from the water with the raft upside down.

I drilled holes in the seam between the floor and the tubes closer to the bow and the stern to add handles made of webbing.

Here’s some pictures of the process. I realize I forgot to take a picture of the final result from the outside, but there is a shot from the inside.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PyZPYx7aAhW1EWgt5

* Hat tip to Steve for mentioning this solution on an episode of gear garage.

– Justin

Zach
    Keymaster

Justin’s solution is great. Another thing you could do is rig a “belly line” – webbing or rope under the boat from bow to stern you can use to climb up on it.

I would not suggest loosening your perimeter line and putting your feet in it as that is a solid entrapment hazard.

scottowens
    Participant

Thanks guys, much appreciate it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.