Home Forums Middle Fork of the Salmon River Beta + Questions Middle Fork Logjam Update Thread 2023

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Zach
    Keymaster

From Ken Helfrich (5/15/23):

“I wanted to let you know that we flew the river today from Dagger to the confluence and everything is still looking open with no blockages. There are a few new spots that could be interesting with logs piled up and a couple of new rapids from the blow outs. Our primary goal of todays flight was to get eyes on the Rams Horn bridge. In the last couple of days, since Tony Herald flew the river, the hillside on river right at Rams Horn has stuffed off and into the river. This is a significant section of bank that has collapsed in and is in the same location where the bridge had been anchored.”

MattSilva
    Participant

Has anyone been down the river recently that can comment on changes to the upper section?

Zach
    Keymaster

I just finished a trip yesterday and the upper section is in good shape. The debris flows at Ramshorn and just above Velvet are very obvious and easy to scout. I’ll try and get some video of the new Velvet uploaded tomorrow.

There is a report of something tearing rafts between Ramshorn and Velvet. This may be a new sharp rock or debris from the Ramshorn Bridge worth looking out for.

Zach
    Keymaster

Here’s video of the new Velvet Falls from last week

MattSilva
    Participant

awesome thanks!
    I also hiked down to Velvet this last Saturday and got some footage of ramshorn and velvet from the bank. Would you like me to send you the footage to share?

Zach
    Keymaster

Can you share a YouTube link here?

MattSilva
    Participant

Sure! It should be finished uploading soon.

saxonlh
    Participant

Is the pile of rock in the center of the channel at 3:15 new? It’s hard to tell from the jump in the video, is that the bottoms of Ramshorn or the top of Velvet? thanks

Zach
    Keymaster

I don’t think the pile of rocks are new but that rapid (that I consider the entrance move to Velvet) has definitely changed. My guess is that there is a bunch of new sediment in there. At the water continues to drop we’ll find out!

Zach
    Keymaster

I ran last week and talked to a bunch of people what have been running trips and it seems that boats aren’t popping any more. Here’s some video from running the new entrance of Velvet in a sweep boat.

Zach
    Keymaster

After talking to quite a few people I don’t think boats are tearing in this section any more.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.