Home Forums Middle Fork of the Salmon River Beta + Questions New Middle Fork Blowouts August 2023

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Zach
    Keymaster

This afternoon (August 2nd) there was another blowout on Lincoln Creek just downstream of Boundary Creek. Some big logs are in the river but the Lincoln Creek blowout is passable.

Zach
    Keymaster

This new logjam is at the end of Hells Half Mile. You can see the Spike Creek blowout from 2022 in the distance.

Hells Half Mile Logjam

Zach
    Keymaster

Got this from the forest service. They said: “the picture is of Velvet. A Helfrich guide estimates that there is a 10 foot drop around the bend and is now a class five rapid that could possibly kill someone if they chose to run it.”

Edit – This blowout is at Sulphur Slide Rapid (not Velvet).

Velvet Landslide

Wild_Bill
    Participant

Thanks for sharing! In the 2nd photo, is the blown out creek Spike Creek then?

Zach
    Keymaster

That’s my best guess. I’ll post more info as it comes in.

Wild_Bill
    Participant

Hmm, doesn’t seem to quite match up with the velvet area in my head/google earth, but I figure we’ll find out eventually. Thanks for keeping the updates coming! My group has an August 12th launch date but it’s looking like Indian Creek will be the only option for the foreseeable future…

Zach
    Keymaster

More photos – This is at Sulphur Slide Rapid. Gardell’s Hole Camp is under water.

Gardell's Hole #1

Gardell's Hole #2

Gardell's Hole #3

Gardell's Hole #4

Zach
    Keymaster

These are from the bottom of Hell’s Half Mile

0.5 Mile above Velvet #2

0.5 Mile above Velvet #1

Zach
    Keymaster

And this looks like Velvet Creek blew out too

Velvet #1

Velvet #2

Wild_Bill
    Participant

Wow, great photos. Thanks to the pilot. Upper section is a mess and probably will be for quite some time.

Zach
    Keymaster

This blowout is in the entrance of Hells Half Mile.

Velvet Creek?

I think this is the lake above Hells Half Mile

Lake

IDriverRunner
    Participant

Thanks for the updates Zach!

Zach
    Keymaster

Yes of course.

We had our NWRC rafts and sweep boat at the bottom of the Boundary ramp last night to deadhead today. This morning we realized we couldn’t float down river so we (along with outfitters Wilderness River Outfitters and Helfrich) carried our gear up and pulled our rafts back up the ramp. From there we drove all our rafts and gear to Bruce Meadows so Gem Air could fly it all to Indian Creek. As I write this some of our gear is flying to Indian and some is still at Bruce Meadows waiting for more planes to arrive. (Longer Article Here)

Zach
    Keymaster

Pulling a sweep boat up the ramp at Boundary Creek this morning

Zach
    Keymaster

Boundary Closure

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.